Monday, November 26, 2012

I am proud to unveil "The Daedalus."


Here she is. The Daedalus.

As some of you, those who read my blog, may know. I decided to go in a different direction with the design for the airships in my novel. The new aesthetic invokes the majesty of European Galleon's of the 18th century and also showcases the influence that games like Final Fantasy 6 had on me growing up.

The book still opens with the First Imperial Fleet of Aerial Warships being advanced vessels, complete with Arcanium turbines, heavy armor, and powerful weapons (imagine a flying battleship with the look of a 19th century ironclad).

But this ship, The Daedalus, belongs to Estro Salius, the world renowned engineer. Estro is responsible for most if not all the technology found in Giaos, but he witnessed the cataclysmic destruction of the First Fleet and as such has made an active effort to balance the use of Arcanium technology with an ample dose of humility. For this reason The Daedalus makes use of wind currents and often only uses Arcanium turbines to create lift. The stern of  the ship is, however, outfitted with a pair of high yield turbines in case of an emergency.

So I am completely happy with the look of this sketch. The next step is to draw a front view so I can then start the most challenging step, modelling the ship with 3D software. This process is something I haven't done in ages and I'm unsure if I even have a program that I can use to do it. I know some people use Google Sketchup for this type of project. So that's probably going to be my best bet.

Until next time! Time for bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment