Sunday, June 1, 2014

Many Changes

It comes as no surprise that many things have happened in my life since the last time I've posted. I'll admit; I am not the most consistent in terms of blogging. If I had a webcam... Yeah... I don't have one. I would Vlog instead. Wait! I have a cell phone! Those have cameras!! Wow... I can't believe this just occurred to me. Ok... So I guess I'll be posting up my first ever Video Blog in the coming days/weeks.

Anyway so here I am, living in the greater Salt Lake City area in Utah. Yeah. I moved and this change came about in the most unexpected of ways, but I'd rather not elaborate on such matters. The important thing is that I have once again found myself in a different scene and, as always, I intend to make the most of it and I've already begun.

Since the move here I've already worked for UPS, then I was offered a better paying position with Guitar Center. The job at GC introduced me to a handful of people that I intend to create lasting friendships with. Most importantly, however, is the fact that I am moving onto yet another job, starting tomorrow. This will the the best paying job I've had in the past five years and it will allow me to make the most use of my skill set.

I will be a Web Designer for the company Online Image. I will be part of the Fulfillment Team and honestly, I'm not too sure exactly what that means. All I know is that I met with the CEO and I really like what they're doing there and I love the fact that I will be able to put my design skills into full practice here. Going forward this will only strengthen my design vocabulary and undoubtedly expand my skills with the programmatic side of Web Design.

I also have plans of returning to school in the Fall and going after my Bachelor's Degree (finally). I will be pursuing a degree in Web/Graphic Design. I know this seems redundant, but I want to know everything current with the field in order to further improve my place in this world.

Finally. The book is still a work in progress. I've been spending some time off practicing digital painting techniques, thanks to my library of Gnomon Workshop DVD's. I've also been practicing modeling in 3D with Sketchup. I intend to learn to use higher-end 3D modelling software like 3DS Max or Maya in the near future, but as I need to prioritize my time and money I will need to self teach those subjects. My plan is to compete in another Gnomon Workshop art challenge. I don't have to win, but if I can get in the top 3 then I will win at the very least 5 new DVD's and I can request 3D subjects this time around.

The real challenge is the upfront cost of the software. Both 3DS Max and Maya cost almost $3,700 each, but once I'm enrolled in school I will look into getting the student discounted versions. Once the money is there and I'm earning enough. I will spring for a full commercial license, but before that I need to get my new Wacom Cintiq Companion. It costs $2,700 and will enable me to work on my book from anywhere at anytime. At the very least I'd be able to sketch out my ideas on Painter X and Sketchup and then import those designs into Photoshop on my main rig for final paint over and touch ups.

And that's about it for now. An update from yours truly and my plans going into the rest of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment